False Accusations of Sex Crimes
If you’re accused of a sex crime that you did not commit, you will want to protect yourself in any way possible. However, talking to the police or trying to iron things out with the complaining witness isn’t something you should take on yourself. You need to immediately contact a skilled Oakland sex crimes lawyer who will point out inconsistencies in the accuser’s story and flaws in the prosecution’s case.
Sex crime charges in California are very serious, and if found guilty you may face mandatory prison time and sex offender registration. It can be an extremely stressful situation if you have been falsely accused of a sexual offense such as rape, child molestation, or sexual assault. Unfortunately, false accusations of sex crimes happen all too often, and it is difficult to know what to do if you are an innocent person accused of a serious crime.
If you have been falsely accused of a sex crime, contact Silver Law Firm today to speak with an attorney experienced in defending against false accusations of sex crimes. Call us at (510) 995-0000.
Sex Crimes in California
California law prohibits many sex crimes. Sex crimes can be either misdemeanor crimes or felony crimes, and they are always pursued aggressively by police and prosecutors.
These crimes include:
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Possession of Child Pornography
- Prostitution and Solicitation
- Indecent Exposure
- Statutory Rape
- Sexual Assault and Battery
Why Would Someone Falsely Accuse You of a Sex Crime?
It is difficult to believe that anyone would falsely accuse you of a sexual offense. However, false allegations of sex crimes happen for a variety of reasons. In prior cases, we have seen false accusations of a sex crime based on these reasons:
- Revenge – Your accuser may be attempting to harm you because of a previous dispute or perceived wrongdoing.
- Your accuser may be ashamed – Sometimes people regret having consented to sexual intercourse, and then they fabricate a rape story.
- Accuser seeking to hide an extramarital relationship – Sometimes people caught having an affair have been known to make up a story which includes a false sexual assault allegation.
- False identification – It is possible that your accuser incorrectly believes that you are the perpetrator of their sexual assault. This often happens since sex crimes frequently occur in poorly lit places or when drugs and alcohol are involved.
- Step child wants you out of the house – Children are often unaware of how serious allegations of sex crimes can be on your entire life and in the future. They are only focused on the immediate situation, which they may not understand.
Defending Yourself From A False Sex Crime Accusation
Many of those falsely accused think that it’s just a big mistake that will clear itself up, or sometimes they try to discuss the situation with the alleged victim in order to make it go away. However, depending on the details of your case, these could be terrible ideas that won’t help you. In fact, they make your problem worse. The best thing to do is to contact your defense lawyer as soon as possible in order to begin the process of beating the charges and clearing your name.
Attorney Elliot Silver has years of experience defending clients who have been falsely accused of crimes. Our office understands that your life and your future are in jeopardy when you are falsely accused of a serious charge such as rape, sexual battery, or child sexual abuse.
Your defense may include arguments such as:
- Consent – For many sexual offenses, proving that the accuser is lying about non-consent through cross-examination is a defense for the falsely accused.
- Insufficient evidence – In order to be convicted of a crime, it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred and that you were the one who committed it. Many false accusations turn out to have very little evidence that a crime even happened. It is up to the prosecution to prove that you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Silver Law Firm Can Help You
A false accusation of a sex crime can be a devastating situation for you and your family, and you may be facing years in prison as well as a permanent criminal record. In order to stay out of prison and defend your reputation, it is important to seek a skilled defense lawyer as soon as you can. Our office understands how stressful a false accusation can be, and we will use our knowledge to defend you during this difficult time.
To discuss your case with an experienced defense lawyer, contact Silver Law Firm online today. Call us at (510) 995-0000.