Homepage » Oakland Family Law Attorney
Oakland Family Law Attorney
As a father, attorney Elliot Silver knows there is nothing more important than family. When difficult times arise, people have a tendency to hope for the best. Sure, you can pour your heart out to your friends about an unfaithful spouse or complain about the unfairness in a custody agreement, but in the end what you really need is reliable and proactive legal counsel. Someone to effectively handle the emotional and complex issues you’ll face. There will be strong opinions on both sides, but at Silver Law Firm, our sole obligation is to find the best possible resolution in one of the most turbulent times of your life.
If you are thinking about a divorce, need a restraining order to protect yourself or your children, or have questions about a child custody dispute, you need a skilled and compassionate legal professional. To speak with an Oakland family law attorney that is dedicated to providing a tailor-made approach to your particular issue, contact Silver Law Firm at (510) 995-0000 to discuss your case.
Oakland Divorce Lawyer
Naturally, relationships change over time, but when things end, it hurts. A separation will always be difficult and a divorce can be grueling for everyone involved. You will not only need to come to terms with the end of your marriage, you’ll also probably have several questions about how the dissolution will affect your finances. Attorney Elliot Silver has the skill and commitment to find the answers you need.
One of the most frustrating and stressful aspects of divorce is how property will be divided. California is one of nine states that follow “community property” guidelines when a couple gets divorced. Generally, this means that all property earned and acquired while married will be divided equally between the parties, but each person will keep their separate property that was obtained before the marriage. Additionally, certain assets such as inheritances or debts like student loans, do not have to be shared. Silver Law Firm can help you understand the process and how to work through California’s family court process.
During your divorce, attorney Elliot Silver can assist with important issues such as:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Divorce-related mediation
- Alimony implementation and disputes
- Temporary court orders for custody and support
- Permanent child custody issues
Oakland Child Support and Child Custody Lawyer
Protecting the wellbeing of your child is the most important role of any parent. This is a primal instinct and in some cases it means using every resource available to you. To help make sure that you obtain a fair and beneficial outcome, you will need assistance from an unrelenting family law attorney. Our dominant presence in any family court proceeding is unparalleled and we’re prepared to help with support and custody issues such as:
- Child Custody – A custody battle is usually very draining for parents and children. Going to court seeking custody of your child can be an exhausting experience. Some parents choose legal mediation for child custody issues instead of court hearings since a mediation can be faster and less expensive. In court or in mediation, you can still benefit from having a family lawyer working for your interests throughout the ordeal.
- Child Support – California law attempts to make sure that the needs of children are met when child support is evaluated. Our office knows how the state guidelines will apply to different family situations, and we will work with you to provide for your child while also seeking a fair and reasonable support plan. Child support orders can be modified in cases where there has been a change in a parent’s financial circumstances. Seeking a modification to child support can be complicated, but it should be pursued if your or the other parent’s circumstances have changed.
- Child Visitation – Visitation allows you to spend time with your child to build and maintain a relationship. This is an essential part of a separation or divorce and also helps you make sure that your child is living in a safe and stable environment. Hiring a skilled family law attorney will help find a child visitation arrangement that works for all parties.
Oakland Adoption Lawyer
The decision to grow your family through an adoption is a joyous occasion. There are many types of adoptions that can take place through private or public agencies. If you’re interested in adoption, we can help with:
- Independent Adoption – An independent adoption may take place outside of an agency between people who know one another or who met independently. These adoptions can be lower cost. An attorney can help you develop a contract for an independent adoption.
- Agency Adoption – Public and private agencies typically have established adoption procedures and contracts that can protect adoptive and biological parents. An attorney can make sure your wishes are respected by all parties involved.
- Private Adoption – Private adoption agencies often charge larger fees, but have more reliable contracts with biological parents who may choose to be known or unknown to the children. Attorneys are essential in private adoptions to make sure your rights and wishes are protected throughout the process.
- Public Adoption – Licensed public adoption agencies are extensions of the California Department of Social Services. Public adoptions are usually lower cost.
An Oakland Family Law Attorney Will Help You
At Silver Law Firm, we treat you like a family member. We maintain close contact with our clients and pride ourselves on being available when needed. In short, we’ll always be there for you.
Attorney Elliot Silver understands that no two family situations are the same. He is ready to develop a tailor-made approach to your specific needs and provide the strongest possible advocacy in both negotiations and litigation. Family law issues are among the highest stakes someone can face, especially when children are involved, and we are dedicated to protecting your rights and interests in every situation.
Whether you are going through a divorce or want to resolve child support disputes, you likely have very specific expectations about what you want to achieve. While we will be here to guide you through the legal process, we will also listen, advise, and communicate, so your objectives guide the way.
To speak with a knowledgeable Oakland family lawyer, call Elliot Silver today to discuss your case. Contact us online or call (510) 995-0000.