Terminating Probation Early in California
Pursuant to Penal Code 1203.3, you may petition the for early termination of your probation. Terminating probation early can allow you to put the past behind you and work towards a better future.
For help with terminating your probation, or if you’re curious if you’re eligible to do so, contact a criminal defense attorney from Silver Law Firm at (510) 995-0000 today.
How Do I Terminate My Probation Early?
Your attorney can file a motion with the court requesting early termination of your probation. Be sure to include reasons why you think the judge should grant early termination. These reasons can include that all the conditions of your probation you have satisfied.
Is It Beneficial to Terminate Probation Early?
There are several reasons why you would benefit from terminating probation early. Being on probation can be a hindrance when you want to:
- Travel freely. People on probation are often not allowed to leave the state. What if you have family that lives across the country? You might not be able to visit them for a significant period of time. Terminating probation early gives you the chance to travel and see your loved ones more often.
- Avoid harsher sentences. If you’re accused of committing another crime while you’re on probation, you can be sentenced to jail. Getting off probation eliminates that possibility.
How Soon Can I Apply to Terminate Probation?
California Penal Code 1203.3(a) gives authority to judges “at any time during the term of the probation” to terminate it. However, it’s likely that a judge will want you to have fulfilled a few terms of your probation, such as:
- Making restitution with your victims
- Paying all court costs and fines
- Attending court-ordered classes
- Satisfying community service requirements
- Completing counseling or therapy sessions
- Producing clean drug test samples
Silver Law Firm Can Help
If you’re anxious to get your probation terminated early, you will benefit from contacting a California criminal defense lawyer for help. At Silver Law Firm, we’ll sit down with you and go over the terms of your probation. We’ll file a motion that clearly shows your exemplary behavior and the successful way in which you have adhered to the terms of your probation. We can help you create a case that shows the court that early termination of your probation is in the interests of justice.
Contact us today at (510) 995-0000 to schedule a free, initial case consultation.